Premises Liability Lawyers in Los Angeles, CA
With property ownership, property owners and management groups must meet local, state, and federal standards. These standards can vary around the country, but the basic requirements are for these owners and managers to maintain their land and buildings, keeping them in a safe condition for tenants.
When a tenant or visitor is injured on-premises because of the property’s failure to adhere to safety standards, the property owner and/or property management company may be found responsible for the damages incurred.
Wilshire Law Firm is the finest premises liability law firm Los Angeles has to offer. Our personal injury attorneys know the devastating consequences of premises liability accidents and are here to help injury victims. Injuries can range from moderate to extremely severe with lifelong ramifications. If you have been injured on a property due to the negligence of a property owner or manager, a skilled Los Angeles premises liability lawyer from our firm can help you pursue damages from the responsible party. We will make sure that they not only cover medical expenses, but that they also financially compensate you for damages such as future medical costs and rehabilitation, pain and suffering, disability and disfigurement, lost wages, diminished future earnings, and more.
Our team is available to speak to you about your claim, evaluate your case's viability, answer any questions you may have, and explain your options for moving forward with your injury claim.
To talk to an experienced Los Angeles premises liability lawyer, call us today at (800) 522 7274 to set-up a free consultation.
What Is Premises Liability?
In a legal context, premises liability is where an accident injury occurs due to unsafe conditions on someone else's property. Similar to most personal injury cases, a premises liability claim relies on the basis of negligence.
Put simply, in order to reach a settlement, an injury victim or their personal injury attorney must prove that a property owner was negligent with respect to the maintenance or operation of their property.
A premises liability case requires the following factors to be true:
- An injury must have occurred on someone else's property,
- The property must have been in an unsafe condition,
- The property owner knew or should have had reasonable knowledge that the premises were in an unsafe condition, and
- The property owner did not take reasonable care to amend the unsafe condition of their property.
Common Premises Liability Accident Causes in Los Angeles
Premises liability law can cover a wide variety of accident scenarios. Below are common premises liability accident causes covered by our attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm:
- Building code violations / hazardous conditions
- Missing guardrails or fencing
- Obstructed walkway
- Negligent security
- Poor construction
- Staircase accident
- Dog bite accident
- Swimming pool accident
- Amusement park accident
- Water leak or flooding
- Snow and ice accident / dangerous conditions
What Are Common Premises Liability Injuries?
Some of the most common accident injuries we see in premises liability cases include:
- Broken bones
- Ligament injuries
- Neck injuries
- Shock and electrocution
- Slip and fall accidents/fall injury
- Spinal cord injuries
What Damages Can I Receive in a Premises Liability Claim?
In a premises liability claim, damages can be extensive. As an accident victim, you should understand the types of damages for which you may qualify.
- Medical bills – These include medical expenses ranging from the beginning from your accident date to any future long-term medical costs, such as surgery costs, physical therapy, rehabilitation costs, and medication.
- Lost wages – After an injury, you may have to take time off from work to recover physically. Lost wages can include salaries, tips, bonuses, and any long-term lost earning capacity.
- Property damage – if you have damaged or lost property due to an accident caused by negligence, you may be able to recover this as part of your premises liability lawsuit.
- Pain and suffering – The extent of the damages and compensation you can recover for pain depend on the severity of your injuries. If your injury has long-term ramifications that require you to change your life, the claim amount will be much higher than if it were a minor injury.
- Emotional distress – After a premises liability accident, an injured victim may have to adjust to new changes psychologically. Anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder may ensue after an injury.
- Loss of consortium – Loss of consortium in a compensatory claim can cover the impact the accident may have on your loved ones, such as a spouse. This includes loss of companionship, the ability to bear children, and loss of intimacy.
Allow a Los Angeles premises liability attorney to help you gather all the information necessary concerning your specific damages. We’ll collect all the information that is necessary for building a successful premises liability case on your behalf. We are committed to supporting you through your personal injury claim, and we won’t back down until we get you the settlement amount you need for your recovery. We’re prepared to take your case to litigation if needed!
What Is the Difference Between Premises Liability and Personal Liability?
The difference between premises liability and personal liability is subtle but essential. Personal liability is when an individual is held legally responsible for causing harm or injury to another person as the result of an act of negligence. An example would be a distracted driver being held responsible for a car accident they caused in a grocery store parking lot.
Premises liability is when an individual or commercial entity is held legally responsible for harm or injury that occurs due to unsafe conditions on their property (or “premises”). An example would be a grocery chain being held responsible for a fall in their parking lot that resulted from a large pothole.
If your case ends up being a matter of personal liability, we can help you with that, too, as we handle all types of personal injury claims.
What Should I Do After a Premises Accident in Los Angeles?
If you recently suffered an accident on someone else's property, a knowledgeable Los Angeles premises liability lawyer from Wilshire Law Firm can assist you.
Immediately after your accident, a personal injury attorney suggests taking the following steps:
- Seek emergency medical care. It is important to have any injuries examined by a qualified medical professional.
- Call the police and other authorities. When you are injured on someone else's property, you should alert the property owner and any supervisors as soon as possible. Getting the police involved is helpful because a police officer will develop an official accident report. The accident report may be necessary for proving negligence further down the road.
- Document evidence at the accident scene. Take pictures of the accident scene with your phone, and gather the contact information of any witnesses.
- Ignore calls from insurance companies. An insurance adjuster will try to contact you repeatedly to get you to accept a settlement offer. When this happens, ignore those calls, and immediately consult with an experienced premises liability attorney. Your attorney should be able to handle all negotiations for you.
- Hire a Los Angeles liability attorney from Wilshire Law Firm. We will offer a free, no-obligation legal consultation for your liability case when you call today. This means that you have no obligation to choose us as your legal representation even after our phone call.
How Can a Los Angeles Premises Liability Lawyer Help My Case?
Our legal team will thoroughly investigate your premises liability case. When necessary, we will employ private investigators and industry experts to determine the cause of your injury and identify the at-fault party. Once liability is determined, our premises liability lawyers will pursue compensation on your behalf.
Hold those who are responsible for your premises liability injury accountable for their negligence. Let the team at Wilshire Law Firm fight to secure the compensation that you deserve.
To speak to one of our experienced premises liability lawyers about your case, set up a free, no-obligation personal injury case consultation by completing our online form or calling (800) 522 7274.