California Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one was injured by someone in a motorcycle accident, you need an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer with the passion, the skills, and the resources necessary to get you the compensation you deserve. You need a law firm that won’t compromise on your health, one with a demonstrated commitment to helping motorcycle accident victims reclaim their lives.
Hundreds of millions of dollars recovered, thousands of lives changed—that’s the Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm. Get started with your FREE case consultation RIGHT NOW by calling (800) 522-7274, or by filling out our online contact form.
What Are the Leading Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
The danger surrounding motorcycle accidents is well-known. Motorcyclists have little in the way of protection during a crash and are commonly ejected from their bikes, with catastrophic or potentially fatal injuries likely to follow. Based on vehicle miles traveled, motorcyclists are nearly 28 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a traffic collision.
There are a number of causes that contribute to motorcycle accidents, chief among them being driving under the influence. NHTSA data indicates that drugs and/or alcohol were involved in nearly 25% of all fatal motorcycle crashes, higher than any other driver classification.
Other leading causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Driver or biker inexperience
- Unsafe road conditions
- Unsafe lane changes or improper turns
- Distracted or reckless driving
- Malfunctioning or defective motorcycles
- Impaired visibility
- Falling to avoid colliding with an object
While most states have made lane splitting illegal, California allows the practice, meaning that other motorists are required to share the road and ensure the safety of the motorcyclists around them. Despite this, lane-splitting accidents are all too common in California.
Other accident types that commonly require the services of a Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer are:
- Left-turn accident
- Failure to yield accident
- Hit and run accident
- Multi-vehicle accident
- Intersection accident
- Head-on collision
- Rear end collision
- Merging collision
- Side-impact or T-Bone collision
- Low-impact collision
If you’re involved in a traffic collision, the LA motorcycle accident attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm go toe-to-toe with the insurance companies and have a proven track record helping injured bikers get the compensation they deserve.
What Motorcycle Accident Injuries Are Common?
A motorcycle accident almost always causes injury to the motorcyclist. The lack of protection motorcycles offer often leads to serious, potentially fatal injuries, with survivors facing a lifetime of medical care and expenses. Worse still, that problem gets passed on to U.S. taxpayers—studies have found that the economic burden from motorcycle accidents in any one year totals $12,000,000,000.
In addition to less-severe injuries like whiplash and road rash, the following motorcycle accident injuries are common:
- Paralysis (paraplegia/quadriplegia)
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Broken bones/bone fractures
- Neck/back or spinal cord injuries
Many motorcycle accident survivors face a steep climb on their path to recovery. Surgical procedures may be necessary, and intensive rehabilitation is often required for months, potentially years. Unfortunately, there is only one injury prevention method that has been proven to effectively reduce the number of motorcycle crash fatalities: HELMETS. Bikers should always wear a helmet, even for those short trips—California law requires it.
What Do I Do After a Motorcycle Accident?
Even with a helmet on, however, motorcyclists rarely walk away from an accident unscathed. That’s why the steps injured bikers take following a wreck can make all the difference in their physical, mental, and financial well-being going forward. Injured motorcyclists may be in pain, unconscious, or otherwise unable to move following an accident.
If possible, you should attempt to do the following after a motorcycle accident:
- Remain Calm—Your adrenaline and emotions may be spinning in high gear, but now is the time to keep things under control. Take a few moments to gather yourself before following the rest of these steps.
- Get to Safety—Move out of the roadway, out of the flow of traffic, and away from any hazards such as gas leaks, fires, or damaged structures.
- Check Yourself for Injuries—Even seemingly minor injuries that go untreated can lead to expensive medical care in the future. Look for any injuries you may have sustained, but don’t assume you’re okay just because you feel that way—your symptoms can be masked by the adrenaline released both during and following a motorcycle accident.
- Alert Emergency Services—If anyone has been hurt in the accident, immediately dial 9-1-1. Ask the police to create an official accident report—a police report is often your best chance at proving your case.
- Document the Accident—Exchange insurance and contact information with the other involved parties. Take photos of the accident scene and record anything you remember about the accident that may be useful—for example, the time, location, and damage to your property can all help prove that the other party/parties are liable. Finally, if there are any witnesses to your accident, exchange contact information to get a written statement from them later.
- Don’t Admit Fault—In the aftermath of your accident, you’ll have to talk to several parties, including the police, the at-fault driver, and an insurance adjuster. It’s important that you don’t admit fault, as this can be used against you during settlement negotiations.
- Contact a Personal Injury Attorney—The insurance companies are going to do everything in their power to lower the value of your claim. You need a law firm in your corner that isn’t afraid to throw a punch—that’s where Wilshire Law Firm comes in. Our California motorcycle accident attorneys can shorten the timeline of your case and help you get your life back on track.
What Damages Are Recoverable Following a Motorcycle Accident?
Damages refer to the expenses, pain and suffering, and other losses that are incurred as a result of a motorcycle accident. Depending on the circumstances of each case, victims may be entitled to compensation for everything from costly surgeries and doctors’ visits to home and lifestyle modifications.
Only an expert motorcycle accident attorney can correctly assess the value of an accident claim. Using medical and vocational experts, accident reconstructionists, and more, the Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyers at Wilshire Law Firm identify the true cost of motorcycle accident cases while working hard to get victims the justice they deserve.
Victims injured in a motorcycle accident may be able to recover these damages following a motorcycle accident:
- Specific Damages—Past and future medical bills, lost wages, lost earning potential, necessary repair and replacement services, home and vehicle modifications, etc.
- General Damages—Physical pain and suffering, loss of consortium, emotional distress
While this may seem straightforward, the fact is that determining liability can be a tricky proposition. Insurance companies have their own claim adjusters whose only job is to give victims as little money as possible. Furthermore, it’s possible that multiple parties can be found at-fault for an accident, making a well-planned investigation vital to the victim’s chances of recovering damages.
Wilshire Law Firm’s skilled attorneys can conduct a thorough investigation, reconstructing the accident and gathering photos, witness and expert testimony, and other relevant material to identify the parties responsible for your injuries.
In the event of an accident, victims may look to hold the following entities responsible:
- Negligent drivers
- An at-fault driver’s employer
- Manufacturers due to a product defect
- Property owners
- Public entities such as a city or state due to poorly maintained roadways
- Construction contractors
Even if a motorcycle accident is partially a victim’s fault, they may still be able to recover some of the damages they have suffered. As a Comparative Fault state, California allows bikers injured in a motorcycle accident to recover a reduced percent of their damages. The amount of damages an injured motorcyclist can recover is directly tied to the percent they are determined to be at fault for the accident. This means that victims who are 99% at fault for an accident may still be able to recover part of the damages they have suffered.
How Can Wilshire Law Firm Help Me?
Wilshire Law Firm’s motorcycle accident lawyers realize that bikers often have the deck stacked against them during the claims process. People are inherently biased against motorcyclists, foolishly believing that all bikers are reckless, dangerous drivers who are more likely than not to be at fault for an accident. Bikers need a law firm that knows how to deal with the insurance companies and can protect the value of their claim.
The statute of limitations for most claims is two years from the date of the accident, but there are many factors that can either shorten or lengthen the timeline of a case. Victims looking to get the most out of their case need to retain the services of the exceptional personal injury attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm.
Our award-winning team of more than 100 legal professionals can handle every aspect of your case, from paperwork and discovery to depositions and litigation. Wilshire Law Firm will arrange access to medical treatment until motorcycle accident victims have achieved Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI), and our Zero Fee Guarantee ensures that our clients won’t be charged a cent in legal fees until we make a recovery.
What Wilshire Law Firm fights for isn’t just dollars and cents, it’s vulnerable human beings. Since 2007, we’ve transformed thousands of lives and recovered hundreds of millions of dollars, and that’s because we put our clients first. To get your FREE legal case consultation, call Wilshire Law Firm now at (800) 522-7274, or fill out our online contact form, and discover the legal experience you deserve.
professional, quick and responsiveBobby is an incredible attorney for LA motorcycle riders. Most insurance companies are deadbeats, but Bobby will give you justice. He’s professional, quick and responsive.
Bobby was reliable, professional, and got the job done.Bobby was reliable, professional, and got the job done. I hired Wilshire Law Firm to handle a my motorcycle vs car accident case. I’m quite happy with the outcome and would definitely use Bobby again.
TOP 1% OF LAWYERS
UNLESS YOU WIN