Ten Tips for Choosing the Right Personal Injury Lawyer
You never know when you’ll be in need of a personal injury lawyer. Although no ever thinks they are going to find themselves in a scenario that requires an attorney, accidents and injuries happen every single day. From car accidents to slip and fall incidents, dangerous drug injuries, and construction accidents, a normal day can turn stressful in the blink of an eye. Whether you live in California, Oklahoma, or somewhere in between, it’s important you know how to choose the right lawyer for your specific case. Regardless of what state you call home, being prepared and knowing what questions to ask a potential attorney could be a game-changer.
The purpose of this article is to look at what goes into choosing the right personal injury lawyer for your case. The laws and statute of limitations for personal injury cases may differ from state to state, which is an important reminder. Similarly, each state is prone to certain types of accidents over others.
The Numbers Never Lie
Accidents can happen for any number of reasons in both Oklahoma and California. Depending on the time of year, bad weather conditions may contribute; and it’s no secret that distracted driving accidents have spiked with cellphone use. Although it is impossible to prepare for the unpredictable, knowledge is power. By taking the time to understand not only why accidents happen, but what the various laws are in each state, you will have the upper hand in the event of an unexpected accident.
Before we go over some questions to ask before hiring a personal injury lawyer, these statistics show how common accidents are in the United States:
- On average, there are six million car accidents every year in the United States
- An estimated three million people are injured each year in car accidents
- Approximately two million drivers suffer permanent injuries following traffic incidents yearly
- Over 90 people die in car accidents every day
- 1 in 7 people fail to wear a seat belt while driving (seatbelts reduce the chance of death by 45 percent!)
- Alcohol is the leading cause of fatal accidents nationwide
- Nine people die every year because of distracted driving
- Texting or talking on the phone while driving reduces brain activity connected to driving by 37 percent
California accident statistics
- More than 10 people die in traffic accidents every day in California alone
- In 2018, California saw 3,259 fatal accidents (1.02 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles)
- Single-vehicle accidents are the most common in California
Oklahoma accident statistics
- In 2018, Oklahoma saw 605 deaths related to traffic accidents (1.44 deaths per 100 million miles traveled)
- The most common type of crash in Oklahoma involves multiple vehicles
Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
Even though nearly 40 million people call California home compared to just 4 million Oklahomans, both states face the same legal issues. If you are injured in a car accident, workplace incident, motorcycle accident, or because of a defective product, it is imperative you know how to find the right lawyer for your case.
Here are a few questions to ask before hiring a personal injury lawyer:
- How much experience do you have handling my type of case?
- How much compensation can I expect, if we win my case?
- Who will be working on my case?
- Will my case go to trial?
- What is the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury case in my state?
- The statute of limitations in both California and Oklahoma is two years from the date of the incident
- How long have you been handling personal injury cases?
- What is my role in the lawsuit?
- How long does it typically take to resolve cases like mine?
These questions should give you a better idea of the law firm and how they may help you.
Tips for Hiring the Right Lawyer for Your Case
Finding the right attorney to represent you is absolutely essential to any personal injury or accident case. With 1.35 million lawyers in the United States, choosing the right one can be challenging. We’ve gone over some questions to ask before hiring a lawyer, and now it’s time for some additional tips to make sure you have the right legal team by your side:
- Make sure the lawyer has the right kind of experience
- Set expectations for communication right from the start
- Make sure the law firm’s approach fits your own intentions
- Go with an attorney who is familiar with your state’s laws
- Call references for the attorney and talk to past clients, if possible
- Don’t be shy! Ask about the attorney’s fees
- Use an attorney who specializes in your case
- Consider the lawyer’s reputation and credentials
- Make sure your lawyer is objective and isn’t looking to settle right away
About AMA Law Firm
Atkins & Markoff Law Firm proudly serves clients throughout Oklahoma. As a full-service personal injury and accident law firm, we strive to help our clients make decisions that will benefit them in the long-term. We understand accidents happen, many of which are out of your control. With more than 100 years of combined experience, we have helped clients pursue legal action and damages for cases covering a wide range of legal issues. Specializing in personal injury, criminal defense, and drug injuries, we work tirelessly to help meet our clients’ various legal needs. Established in 1996, our lawyers bring an expert level of legal ability, dedicated work ethic, and unparalleled communication to each and every case. If you are injured in a car accident, pedestrian accident, or motorcycle collision in Oklahoma, or if you suffered an injury at the hands of a medical professional, give us a call. Over the last 25 years, we have proudly helped our clients achieve favorable resolutions, recovering more than $75 million combined.
*This is a guest post provided by Atkins & Markoff Law Firm