Justin F. Marquez, Esq.
Justin F. Marquez is a dedicated advocate for consumers and employees in class action litigation, whistleblower actions, employee harassment and discrimination, and wrongful termination cases. Mr. Marquez specializes in high-stakes class action litigation, routinely representing clients in complex legal matters in California state courts and federal courts, including the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
His strategic, client-first approach to his work and practice has earned Mr. Marquez the praise and recognition of his peers. He was selected as a Southern California Rising Star by Super Lawyers from 2017 to 2019, and in 2016 and 2017 he was selected to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40. Justin additionally serves as an Executive Committee Member of The Data Privacy Trial Lawyers Association – Top 10, an invitation-only professional organization composed of the Top 10 attorneys from each state or region who exemplify qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence, and performance in data privacy litigation.
A high-stakes litigation expert who practices at the forefront of consumer advocacy, Mr. Marquez’s innovative legal work to uphold the rights of corporate misconduct victims against some of the world’s largest corporations has earned him recognition as a leader in data privacy and consumer protection class actions. Passionate about protecting the public from greedy businesses, Mr. Marquez’s carries a 10.0 Superb Rating from Avvo for his work on cases related to employment, wrongful termination, consumer protection, and privacy law.
- Consumer Protection
- Data Privacy
- Class Actions (Consumer and Wage and Hour)
- Qui Tam Claims
- Investment Fraud
- Employee Harassment and Discrimination
- Wrongful Termination
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- State Bar of California
- US District Court for the Southern District of California
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the Eastern District of California
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
Professional Awards, Affiliations, and Appearances
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40
- 2017-2019 Super Lawyers Southern California Rising Star
- Mentor Committee Member, California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA)
- Wage and Hour Committee Member, California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA)
- Executive Committee Member, The Data Privacy Trial Lawyers Association – Top 10
- Diversity Committee Member, Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC)
- Member, American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- Avvo 10.0 Superb Rating in Employment, Wrongful Termination, Consumer Protection, and Privacy Law
- ABM Industries Overtime Cases, 19 Cal.App.5th 277 (2017) was a wage and hour class action for over 40,000 class members. Mr. Marquez penned the class certification and expert briefs for the case, which focused on off-the-clock, meal period, split shift, and reimbursement claims.
- In Yocupicio v. PAE Group, LLC, 795 F.3d 1057 (9th Cir. 2015), Mr. Marquez won an important decision under the Class Action Fairness Act (CAFA), which held that non-class claims cannot be used to determine CAFA’s “amount in controversy” requirement. Mr. Marquez’s winning argument can be viewed on YouTube, and his work on this case has been cited by leading publications such as Wright & Miller’s Federal Practice and Procedure and Newberg on Class Actions.
- Mr. Marquez recovered over $10 million dollars in lost wages on behalf of workers in 2018, including a $2.5 million settlement in Brulee v. DAL Global Services, LLC, 2018 WL 6616659 (C.D. Cal. Dec. 13, 2018)
- As part of a consumer class action team, Mr. Marquez recovered millions of dollars for defrauded real estate investors and consumers with fraudulent residential mortgages.
- Mr. Marquez has false claims (qui tam) litigation experience, having represented a whistleblower who reported the bribing of public employees by their former employer.
- J.D., Notre Dame Law School
- B.A. magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, and College Honors, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- From 2001-2002, Mr. Marquez received a scholarship to study abroad at Tokyo University’s AIKOM Program.