Orange County Personal Injury Lawyers
If you’ve been injured in an accident through no fault of your own, you have the right to take legal action for all of your unexpected expenses as well as any pain and suffering.
Call the award-winning personal injury attorneys at Wilshire Law Firm right away for a FREE consultation at 1-866-344-0588. Waiting can hurt your case, so call now!
Why Choose Wilshire Law Firm
When looking at personal injury firms, it’s important to choose one with the track record and resources to successfully handle your claim in a compassionate and professional manner. Wilshire Law Firm’s award-winning team of personal injury attorneys are backed by a legal staff of close to 100 employees, most of whom are fully bilingual.
We understand that this is a difficult time for you and your family. You may be unable to get around due to your injuries. That’s why we’re available to travel to you at the time and place of your choosing. Be it the hospital, your home or another location, we can meet you there in order to get your claim going as quickly as possible.
Since opening our doors eleven years ago, Wilshire Law Firm has recovered over $400,000,000 for our clients. We have won numerous life-changing six and seven-figure settlements and verdicts during this time.
We attribute our winning track record to more than just hard work. Besides providing aggressive legal representation, we also have the resources to use the latest cutting-edge technology. When necessary, we can present computer animated accident scene and medical procedure reconstructions. All of this, in addition to our panel of experts, helps Wilshire Law Firm present our clients’ cases in the strongest way possible.
Common Causes of Personal Injuries in Orange County
At Wilshire Law Firm, we handle a variety of personal injury cases.
Car Accidents – Orange County is the picture postcard definition of the Southern California lifestyle: sun, surf and cars. And motor vehicles are certainly the main form of transportation in this county. All of those cars inevitably lead to accidents.
Sadly, two of the most common forms of reckless motorist behavior are to blame for Orange County’s car accident injuries and fatalities. They are speeding and impaired driving. Many times, these two irresponsible behaviors go hand in hand, making for a lethal combination.
Another contributing factor is distracted driving. Most people think using a cellphone is a form of distracted driving, and it is, but there are also other examples. These include eating, being distracted by a passenger in the vehicle and playing with a vehicle’s entertainment or navigation system.
Motorcycle Accidents – A beautiful Orange County coastline, ideal weather and a motorcycle ride. What could possibly go wrong? Plenty. Motorcycles, by their very nature, don’t offer much protection for their riders. In 2015 alone, 1,346 motorcycle riders were injured or killed in accidents in Orange County.
Even with the mandatory use of helmets, motorcycle riders are still at a higher risk for a catastrophic injury such as traumatic brain or spinal cord injuries. Broken bones and road rash are two of the “lesser” injuries commonly seen in motorcycle riders.
Wrongful Death – The sudden loss of a loved one due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness is a terrible tragedy. Here in Orange County, surviving family members can file a wrongful death civil claim against the at fault party. While no amount of money can ever make things right again, obtaining justice may help with the healing process.
Damages awarded in a wrongful death claim are meant to cover funeral and burial expenses, potential earnings the deceased would have earned and compensation for the loss of the deceased’s love, companionship and financial support.
The law specifies who exactly can file a wrongful death lawsuit. They are, in order: a spouse, children and grandchildren. If none of these relatives can be located, other next of kin, such as siblings or cousins may come forward.
Types of Compensation Available for Personal Injury
The compensation available to a personal injury victim is broken down into three main categories, known as damages. They are:
Special or Compensatory Damages – This category of damages is intended to compensate the victim for all of their unexpected expenses due to their accident. It’s relatively easy to come up with a dollar amount when attempting to calculate compensatory damages. It’s a matter of adding up the paper trail of:
- Medical care and/or treatment – This includes reimbursement for doctor and hospital bills, ongoing treatment and if applicable, long-term care and rehabilitation costs.
- Lost income/lost future income – If the injuries were severe enough that the victim was forced to stop working, they are entitled to compensation for the time they were away from their job while they recovered. If the injuries were severe enough to cause permanent or long-term disability to the victim, they may be entitled to compensation for lost future income. This compensation can be for the rest of the person’s life.
- Property Damage – This provides compensation for the repair or replacement of a vehicle damaged in an accident.
- Burial and Funeral Expenses – If the accident resulted in the death of the victim, the next of kin may be entitled to compensation for funeral and burial expenses.
General Damages – This category of damages is more difficult to calculate because there are no bills or estimates to add up. This category compensates the victim for the emotional toll they’ve been subjected to as a result of the accident. They include:
- Pain and Suffering – Although this category compensates the personal injury victim for their physical pain, it also includes compensation for the mental anguish, anxiety, depression and/or anger they may be experiencing.
- Mental Anguish – If the accident was particularly traumatic, the victim may be entitled to damages for mental anguish. This can include compensation for life-altering injuries, such as paralysis or disfigurement or witnessing the death of a loved one in the accident.
- Loss of Consortium – If the victim was killed in the accident, their spouse may be entitled to this category of damages. It compensates the surviving spouse for the unexpected physical, emotional and financial loss of the deceased.
- Loss of Companionship – Like loss of consortium, this compensates the nearest family member of the deceased for the unexpected physical, emotional and in some cases, the financial loss of a loved one.
Punitive Damages – In certain circumstances, the accident victim may be entitled to punitive damages. If the person who caused the accident acted in an especially reckless or irresponsible manner, punitive damages may be awarded in addition to special and general damages.
The Statute of Limitations in Orange County
In Orange County and the entire state of California, you have 2 years from the date of an accident to file a personal injury claim against the person or entity whose wrongful act or negligence caused your accident. It doesn’t matter what type of injury claim it is. Whether it be a car accident, motorcycle accident or slip and fall, it’s still 2 years.
There is, however, one important exception to the statute of limitations: if the person injured was a minor under the age of 18, the statute of limitations does not start until the victim turns 18.
Contact an Orange County Personal Injury Lawyer
Being injured in an accident affects both you and your loved ones. Your life can suddenly be thrown into physical, emotional and financial upheaval. Wilshire Law Firm can help. Our team of skilled legal professionals will handle your case in a compassionate, professional manner so you have one less thing to worry about while you recover. Waiting can hurt your case, so if you’ve been injured in an accident in Orange County, it’s important to contact us right away.
Get Your Free Case Consultation
excellent jobThe Wilshire Law firm has did an excellent job of service in handlhandling my case I would recommend anyone to be assisted by them for the simple fact if you have a case you will be compensated and with great friendly professional service too.
I'm leaving here a happy clientThanks Kerry, Stella and Cintia for making this unfortunate situation turn into the results I had hoped for. Everyone was so professional and kind threw this whole experience. Today I picked up my settlement check and I'm leaving here a happy client