Car Accident Attorney in Oakland, California
Car accidents happen every day here in Oakland and throughout the rest of the country. On average, there are 6 million car accidents in the U.S. every year, and more than 90 people die in auto accidents daily. Car accident victims are often left with lasting injuries or must grapple with the loss of a loved one following a fatal accident. At Wilshire Law Firm, our experienced Oakland car accident attorneys understand what you are going through and are here to help.
Oakland Car Accident Statistics
California Department of Motor Vehicles statistics shows that almost 27 million people have drivers licenses. There are over 1 million cars on the roads in Alameda County, and Oakland, the largest city in the county, has over 2,000 miles of roadways. Oakland is a bustling city, but unfortunately, it’s also a city where car accidents are quite common.
Some accidents are minor fender benders or other less serious collisions. But in the city of Oakland alone, on average, 29 people are killed in car accidents, and 105 more are severely injured every year. These numbers are according to data from the City of Oakland Department of Transportation’s 2016 Strategic Plan. Car accidents appear to be on the rise throughout the state of California, increasing nearly 13 percent between 2015 and 2016 alone.
What are the Common Types of Car Accidents in Oakland?
In California, among the top causes of car accidents are reckless or negligent driving. Alcohol use also contributes significantly to car accidents. Nationally, 29 percent of the overall auto accident fatalities in the United States involve alcohol-impaired driving. One in three traffic deaths include a drunk driver, and in California, between 2003 and 2012, over 10,000 people lost their lives in accidents involving a drunk driver, according to the Center for Disease Control.
Let’s take a closer look at the most common types of motor vehicle accidents in Oakland, California:
- Rear-end collisions
- Side-impact crashes
- Head-on collisions
- Single vs. multi-vehicle car crashes
- T-bone crashes
- Low-speed contact car collisions
- Large truck accidents
- Collisions at intersections
The majority of accidents that do not involve alcohol or reckless driving are the result of speeding or distracted, drowsy, or reckless drivers. Across the country, speeding was involved in 9,717 accidents involving fatalities, and distracted driving accounted for 8.5 percent of fatalities in 2017, with drowsy drivers contributing to 2.1 percent of total fatalities, as illustrated by data from the United States Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Weather and poor road conditions also play a role in many accidents, as does driver error or a driver failing to adhere to the rules of the road. In serious accidents, speeding and the point of impact factor into the types of injuries drivers and passengers may sustain. To learn more about your rights following a car crash, truck accident, motorcycle accident, or another incident that resulted in serious injury, please contact our Oakland personal injury lawyer.
Am I Entitled To Compensation?
If you were involved in an automobile accident because another driver was inexperienced, negligent, or just plain reckless, you might be entitled to compensation for injuries, damage to your property, loss of income, and/or pain and suffering. Financial compensation – known as “damages” – depends on the circumstances related to your accident.
Our Oakland car accident lawyers have the experience and resources to help your car accident claim and work with an insurance company, whether you suffered a brain injury, spinal cord injuries, or any other personal injury or were involved in a fatal accident. You may be able to file a wrongful death claim, or otherwise hold those responsible for your injuries accountable.
It’s important to note that there are different types of damages if you were an accident victim, and they are categorized as follows:
- Special Compensatory Damages: These damages cover any expenses incurred as a result of the accident. The amount awarded depends on the severity of the injuries. Examples of what this category of damages covers include medical bills and loss of current and future income.
- General Damages: General damages are more subjective because they compensate for pain and suffering, as well as emotional distress. There are no specific numbers to add up to get to an amount. This category of damages also provides compensation for “loss of consortium”. That is the legal term for the loss of a spouse or other close family member, such as a parent, for example.
- Wrongful Death Damages: As the name suggests, these damages provide compensation for the expenses associated with the sudden wrongful death of a loved one due to an accident. These include funeral expenses, any medical bills the deceased incurred as a direct result of the accident, and the loss of the deceased’s financial contributions to their household.
Who is Liable for Car Accident Injury?
Liability is one of the most complex aspects of any Oakland automobile accident injury claim. Proving fault in these types of personal injury cases can be hard, depending on the details of your car accident claim. Often, it is not clear who was at-fault for an automobile accident, truck accident, or Uber accident.
California is considered an at-fault state and has a series of laws to help determine how to handle these claims, which means that car accident injury victims must prove that another party was liable in order to recover compensation.
The following parties may be held liable for an Oakland car accident:
- The driver of the vehicle that caused the accident
- The registered owner of the vehicle
- The car manufacturer
- Any other party who was responsible for the accident occurring
What Do You Do After a Car Accident in Oakland?
Car accidents happen; it’s what you do afterward that counts. Life comes at you fast. Sometimes, faster than you ever imagined. The decisions you make in the immediate aftermath of your auto accident and months after will have an everlasting effect on your daily life.
You need to:
- Seek medical attention
- Call the police and file a report
- Exchange information with the other driver(s)
- Insurance policy
- Name, address, phone number
- Information about the vehicle they were driving
- Talk to any witnesses
- Contact an Oakland car accident lawyer from Wilshire Law Firm
What Kinds of Damages May I Claim for a Car Accident?
We know that the aftermath of an accident can be a traumatic and challenging time for you and your family. Wilshire Law Firm is here to help guide you through your insurance claim and help you through the legal process. Dealing with an insurance company can be difficult, which is why we are here to help. Our team wants to ensure that you know your rights and receive the compensation that the car accident law entitles you to if you were an auto accident victim because of a careless, reckless, or otherwise negligent driver.
If you or someone you love was involved in an accident in Oakland, California, contact an Oakland auto accident attorney for a free consultation. Wilshire Law Firm wants to serve as your trusted partner to put your accident in the past and move forward with your life. An Oakland personal injury attorney will gladly help you with all things involved in your car accident claim.
Some of the damages you may be able to file a claim for following an Oakland auto accident include:
- Medical bills or other medical expenses
- Mental health therapy
- Rental and replacement vehicle
- Emotional distress
- Potential PTSD
- New clothes
- Lost wages
- Wrongful death
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
- So much more
Why You Need an Oakland Car Accident Lawyer
Depending on the details of your automobile accident, a reliable Oakland car accident attorney will get you the compensation you deserve and ensure justice is served. We understand how stressful the process of a personal injury lawsuit can be and will do everything we can to fight for you.
Some of the top benefits of hiring an Oakland car accident attorney include:
- They will provide a professional and objective opinion of your car accident case
- They have expert negotiation skills
- They will ensure you get medical attention and care you deserve
- They will provide options and help you choose the best one for your car accident case
- They can assist with complex litigation
- They can expedite your Oakland personal injury claim
- They will keep your settlement on the right track
Whether you were injured in a pedestrian accident, car crash, have suffered spinal cord injuries or were an accident victim in another type of accident, contact an Oakland car accident lawyer at Wilshire Law Firm today at (800) 522 7274.
Get Your Free Case Consultation
excellent jobThe Wilshire Law firm has did an excellent job of service in handlhandling my case I would recommend anyone to be assisted by them for the simple fact if you have a case you will be compensated and with great friendly professional service too.
I'm leaving here a happy clientThanks Kerry, Stella and Cintia for making this unfortunate situation turn into the results I had hoped for. Everyone was so professional and kind threw this whole experience. Today I picked up my settlement check and I'm leaving here a happy client