6 Steps to Winning Your Insurance Claim
After an accident, the last thing you want is to be given the runaround by the insurance company. Remember, insurance companies are businesses – they prioritize profit above all else. They are willing to reduce or even deny your completely legitimate claim for the sake of preserving their bottom line. Therefore don’t believe a word the claims adjuster says because he or she is NOT on your side.
If you want to beat the insurance company at their own game and obtain full and fair compensation for your damages (medical bills, lost wages during recovery, pain and suffering, etc.), then it is absolutely essential that you take the following actions:
- If your claim is denied, request a written explanation. The company is required to meet your request because you have a legal right to this information.
- Obtain and organize all relevant paperwork. This includes your original policy, any documents you’ve signed, an overview of your benefits, and any other paperwork the insurance company has sent to you. You may request a copy of any missing documents from them.
- Review all documents thoroughly to determine whether your claim was denied fairly. Look out for obscure, difficult to decipher addendums and clauses that allow them to deny you coverage under certain circumstances.
- Put all requests in writing, and retain receipts/copies for everything you send. If the adjuster stops responding to your requests, or otherwise causes unnecessary delays in the process, take matters up the chain of command. Basically, be persistent – you’re not being a pest, you’re just looking out for yourself.
- The insurance company cannot legally deny your claim because of a filing error. If you have your claim denied because you filled out paperwork incorrectly, or because you failed to file a document before some arbitrary deadline you were not made aware of in time, then challenge the denial. And …
- Get help from a qualified attorney. The insurance company will be sure to take you seriously after you get help from a legal professional. Since most accident injury firms don’t charge for consultations, you literally have nothing to lose by calling a lawyer.
At Wilshire Law Firm, we know the insurance claims process inside and out – the tactics companies employ to deny or reduce claims, the best ways to counteract them, when and when not to pursue litigation, and so on. Using this knowledge, we fight to protect our clients’ best interests and get them the full and fair compensation they deserve and need to put their lives back together after a bad accident. For more information about your rights and legal options, call us today at (800) 522-7274.
- Leave of Absence
- Unpaid Wages
- Workplace Discrimination
- Workplace Harassment
- Workplace Retaliation
- Wrongful Termination