How to Interview a Car Accident Lawyer
So, you’ve combed through all of the personal injury lawyers in your area and narrowed down your choices to a few candidates (perhaps they were personally recommended to you, or received glowing reviews online).
At this point, you should set up an initial consultation with each prospective lawyer. Discuss the details of your situation and ask basic questions about the lawyer before you make your final decision. Ideally, the answers you get will help you narrow down your choices even further until you find the lawyer who is the right fit for you.
It is important to prepare your questions beforehand. The more prepared you are, the more information you will receive. And the more information you receive, the more informed your decision will be. Ideally, at the end of a consultation, you should know the lawyer’s expertise, experience, fees, special knowledge, and management of the case.
Questions to Ask Your Potential Personal Injury Lawyers
- What are the specifics of the lawyer’s fee arrangement? Are the terms negotiable?
- How long has the lawyer been in practice? Does the lawyer specialize in cases like yours? When is the last time the lawyer handled a similar case? Were the results good?
- Other than a law degree, does the lawyer have special training or knowledge relevant to your case?
- What is the lawyer’s current caseload? What is the scope of the lawyer’s existing commitments? Will the lawyer have enough time and resources to devote to your case?
- Will paralegals and legal assistants be handling a portion of your case? If the answer is yes, ask about reduced fees.
- Will the lawyer provide regular updates? How often will you hear from the lawyer? Will you be able to contact the lawyer directly?
- Are there alternative solutions for your case, such as arbitration or mediation? If so, does the lawyer have experience executing these methods?
- What are your chances of winning? What difficulties will you face? Will it take a long time before your case is resolved?
- What will the lawyer expect from you? What kind of documents and background information should you prepare?
Keep in mind that nothing should be taken as a guarantee. Treat answers like indicators of a lawyer’s experience and skill level. The right lawyer should be able to answer your questions in a clear, direct and honest manner.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, contact the experienced car accident lawyers at Wilshire Law Firm for immediate assistance. We can provide you with a comprehensive understanding of your legal rights and best options for recovery in a FREE consultation. Call us today at (800) 522-7274 to receive advice from the top personal injury lawyers in California.